Friday, May 20, 2011

Roman Laundry (bucato alla romana)


Myth and Memory, History and Nostalgia, Dreams and Disappointments, I have hung them all up to dry in the afternoon Italian sun.

A temporary installation of Roman Laundry  (bucato alla romana), a group of large scale charcoal drawings that reference classical sculpture, which I have been working on over  past several months, took place on Sunday May 1, 2011 in Via de' Delfini, Roma. 


By its nature, intruding into public space invites public comment.  Without permission, I took over a street and asserted myself.  The comments were many.  The one that struck me the most was made by an Italian artist who said that in the work he can see my affection for the City.  Si, e vero.  I have great affection for this chaotic, frustrating, romantic, amazing, impeneterable and impossible place.



And a special THANKS to all who helped make this project happen!

Christopher Pelley with assistants Amanda Pratt, Katie Morgan, Kara Arterburn and Codi Lyn Harrington
  

1 comment:

  1. I happened to stumble upon this doing research for my boyfriend's Latin class. So great to relive the memories of the photography class in Rome last year! If you check this, and I hope it gets to you somehow, I'll be graduating in May! Hope all is well, take care

    Olivia Torres

    ReplyDelete