Sunday, April 1, 2012

Large Scale


Monuments are, well, monumental.  Big.  Sense of scale is everything. As a New Yorker, one would think I am immune to the presence of the large, but counter-intuitively here in Roma I am in a state of perpetual awe.  And my work has responded accordingly to my adopted environment.  Recently in the studio I have been working on a series of large scale drawings which relate to this Eternal jumble of a City, which I then place in the urban environment.  I like the in context / out of context tension that develops.  (and of course I like to watch how people interact with them too)


Christopher Pelley  Large Gesture #1

Christopher Pelley  Large Gesture #1
Christopher Pelley  Large Gesture #1

Christopher Pelley  Large Gesture #1

This drawing (charcoal on paper, 230cm x 144cm) was temporarily installed on a sunny day at the end of March 2012, in Piazza Lovatelli, Roma

1 comment:

  1. I love your play here with gesture and the passers-by!

    ReplyDelete